- Use binoculars to check condition of areas you can not safely reach.
- Employ specialist contractors for any inspection and repair work out of easy reach of others. Get advice on best technique for the purpose. e.g."cherrypicker" platform or rope abseiling.(1)
- Be careful before deciding to fit permanent anchors for rope abseiling. They must be inspected and certified regularly, at a cost probably greater than using another method.
- Don't attempt to inspect or carry out high-level work in strong winds.
- Don't examine fabric or work in areas hard to reach or otherwise risky on your own. Always have back-up help.
- Use industrial gloves when working on dirty jobs such as removing bird fouling or drain and gutter clearing.
(1) link to www.atlas-1.org.uk and www.irata.org
- Ensure that all ladders, tower stairways doors and hatches are kept in good repair, free of obstruction.
- Roof hatches should not be hard to lift and replace. Cover them with lighter roofing felt rather than lead or other heavy metal.
ITEMS FOR REGULAR CHECKING include:
- Louvres, for tight fixing. Loose louvres in danger of falling are plainly dangerous.
- Lightning Conductor fixings.
- Flagpole seating, where relevant.
OTHER POINTS TO NOTE:
- Fit and maintain mesh protection inside tower, belfry and spire openings against bird entry, while maintaining constant ventilation.
- Ensure full external and internal inspection by specialists at least every 20 years.
- Masonry joints are vulnerable to washing out. Check with binoculars that lime pointing remains sound.
When Light Bulbs fail and they are out of normal reach, check the cost of briefly hiring a tower scaffold for access on each occasion. If it seems more economic in the longer term, employ an electrical contractor to replace all of them with long-life fittings.
Turret Clocks. Information is available from the Council for the Care of Churches.
Bells " " Central Council of Church Bell Ringers www.cccbr.org.uk
Telecoms equipment seek advice from your church body and look at www.cccbr.org.uk/tbc/pubs/telecommGenl.php