Every 5 YEARS, arrange for a full professional inspection.
This will probably be officially required by your denominational body and should provide an expert 'snapshot' of the condition of the church building (and other premises such as halls and clergy houses).
The Inspection Report should:
- provide a general record of the condition of the fabric.
- identify the condition, in detail, of all parts of the fabric
- describe any necessary work in order of priority: urgent, necessary or desirable.
- make recommendations about the future maintenance and care of the building and its contents.
- identify and make recommendations on any condition needing further investigation.